Friday, October 16, 2009

THE fried chicken



THE Fried Chicken (that's really its name)

1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (all I used were thighs)
water
1 1/2 C flour
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Cooking oil

(while your oil is heating...) Wash chicken thoroughly and remove excess fat. Place in a bowl and cover with water. Allow it to sit 3 or 4 minutes. Mix the dry ings. Remove the chicken from water, shaking off only part of the water; do not pat dry. Dredge pieces in the flour and place in hot oil deep enough to cover the pieces. Cook uncovered. Do not crowd the pieces in the oil. Turn once to cook and brown the other side. When deep golden brown, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. (it took about 20 min on each side for me)

I imagine that, to a southerner, my attempts at making southern fried chicken is like me watching with sympathy when our former pastor from Alabama decided to cook down maple syrup on his kitchen range... but hey, my chicken tastes pretty good! And he learned a lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment