Friday, March 30, 2012

Giant Meringues


I know, I know, right after a post on low-carb intentions, I go and show you all a sugar-laden treat. My apologies. I was going through my picture files and found that I had never posted this recipe, having meant to simply months ago! I made these for a girls' night and they were a big hit. Light and delicate, fun swirls of color, easy to flavor according to your preferences, and they look impressive!





Giant Meringues
based on a recipe from BBC Good Food

4 egg whites
1 C sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp citrus zest
(I used lemon and orange and colored accordingly)


  1. Heat oven to 275 F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Beat the egg whites until stiff . Add roughly half the sugar and the vanilla, corn starch and vinegar and beat until mixture becomes very thick, firm and shiny. Add the remaining sugar and whisk again until thick, firm and shiny.
  3. Gently fold in 1/4 tsp yellow or orange food coloring (or your own choice), careful not to over-mix and lose the beautiful swirls of color. Use a large spoon to swirl the airy rainbow-clouds of meringue onto the parchment paper, about 1 1/2 dozen. They spread slightly as they cook, so leave space between them.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes at 275, then reduce the heat to 225 for another 30. (Optionally, you can make about 8 HUGE meringues and bake for two intervals of 45 minutes each. Warning: When I say huge, I mean it.)
  5. Remove from the oven - they should peel easily away from the parchment - and cool on a wire rack. Can be made up to a week ahead and kept in an airtight container, or frozen for up to 3 months, between layers of parchment, in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment