Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cherry Pancakes



Yesterday my mom and I picked probably 18 quarts of fresh sour cherries (all from ONE tree... and it was hard to tell we'd taken any! I can't wait for our own trees to be that size.), and I knew right from the start that I wanted to try recreating my favorite breakfast from Cracker Barrel - pancakes with tart cherries and whipped cream. The nearest Cracker Barrel restaurant is over an hour away - inspiration to make these at home.

First off, I needed a pancake recipe, since my mom's pancakes (which are VERY good by the way ;-] ) are much thinner and a completely different consistency. By doing a little research, I learned that greasing the griddle with shortening can help give the pancakes the crispness that I love at Cracker Barrel. And fortunately, we had some Redi Whip in the fridge left from my sister's birthday.

Here are the results!


Honestly... just as good as Cracker Barrel, only smaller pancakes, so you don't have to make yourself sick trying to eat them all and feel guilty for leaving so much on your plate!


Sorta Cracker Barrel Pancakes


2 C sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
2 eggs
2 C buttermilk

Heat griddle on medium heat while mixing pancakes. Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat eggs and buttermilk together in a separate bowl, then add to the flour. Mix well, but be careful not to over-mix - there should be a few small lumps left.
Grease griddle with shortening, then drop batter with a 1/4 C measuring cup, allowing each side to turn golden brown.


Fresh Sour Cherry Topping

I didn't have a recipe, so hopefully this is what I did! :)

2 1/2 quarts pitted fresh sour cherries
1 1/2 cups sugar, or sugar to taste - I like the tartness and flavor, so I try not to over-do the sugar.
2-3 Tbs corn starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water

Heat everything over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbling and thickened. Test for sweetness before serving.


To serve pancakes Cracker Barrel style, lay out three pancakes in a row on a plate, slightly over-lapping eachother. Spoon plenty of cherries down the center and top with whipped cream.

Confession: I ate the left-overs for lunch, too.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely breakfast. So enjoyed when you whipped up some of these pancakes on Christmas morning. Already distant, precious memories.

    ReplyDelete