Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Starter: Roasted Tomato Soup


A family friend raved about this soup long enough, I finally decided I had to try the recipe. I haven't made home-made tomato soup before, I'm always concerned that it will taste like eating... well, tomato. Which, in my book, is not a good thing. Tomato sauces are wonderful, but not plain tomato, and especially not raw. I know, I know... I've been told I don't know what I'm missing by all the tomato-sandwich fans I know, but hey, I didn't CHOSE the way tomatoes taste. They were nasty to start with!

Anyway, I'll move on. This soup has a wonderful blend of flavors, and is very low fat, not being a cream soup. I drizzled mine with a little home made yogurt or cream, mostly just for looks but it tastes nice too.



Fresh Basil... mmmm...



Roasted Tomato Soup

  • 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 12 fresh basil leaves
  • Place the tomatoes (unpeeled), onion and garlic in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
  • In a blender, puree tomato mixture and basil in batches until blended and as smooth as you like.
  • When ready to serve, transfer to a large saucepan and heat through. Serve with croutons or herb bread.
Original recipe from Taste of Home.

I made a double batch, so I simply added 10 minutes to the oven time.




I served this soup with fresh focaccia, perfect for dunking.






No comments:

Post a Comment