Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cranberry-Orange Nut Bread


I love cooking with fresh cranberries, and last week I had a slice of cranberry nut bread at a social gathering. I hadn't had it in a couple of years probably, and I'd forgotten just how good this stuff is! It took me some doing to dig up a recipe that was what I wanted, and in the end it was a locally produced book that I found it in. I whipped up a batch and baked it in mini-loaf pans for our Thanksgiving meal. I hope you enjoy it, it's one of my favorite batter breads.


Fresh Cranberry Nut Bread
In Memory of Ethel Barnett

2C flour
1C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4C shortening
3/4C orange juice
1 egg beaten
1 tsp grated orange rind (finer than regular zest)
1 C chopped fresh cranberries
1/2C chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. In a separate bowl, combine orange juice, zest and beaten egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in orange mixture. Mix just enough to dampen dry ingredients. Carefully fold in cranberries and nuts; do not over-mix. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for about an hour, until a knife comes out clean.

I baked this recipe in four mini pans for 40 minutes.

Try making this bread a day ahead, and wrap the loaves in plastic wrap overnight. The moisture on the cranberries will disburse throughout the bread, making it easier to slice without crumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment